International Paper Company Office Building (1905)
The Hudson River Mill Museum has begun the process of restoring the former International Paper Company office building at 17 Pine Street in Corinth which was built by the Company at the Hudson River Mill in 1905 to serve as its Principal Office. Gifted to the Town of Corinth in 2012, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
The Museum intends to use the building for presentations and meetings during the multi-year restoration process. Museum exhibits will be developed and installed on a temporary basis and will be made permanent once the structure is fully restored and is made visitor-friendly. The first exhibit opening is planned for Summer 2020. If you would like to support our building restoration efforts or our exhibition development plans, please go to our SUPPORT menu.
International Paper broke ground for the building in April, 1905, and it was completed at a cost of $10,000 by November of the same year. The top floor was designed to house administrative offices while the lower level was intended to serve as the Time Office where workers would punch their daily time cards and receive their pay at the end of each week. At the time the building was constructed, International Paper also maintained a sales office at 30 Broad Street in New York City’s financial district, Its Corinth office served as the meeting place for the Company’s Board of Directors and as the location for its yearly stockholder’s meeting, which in the early years of the 20th century was held on the 4th Wednesday in August. The first International Paper Company stockholders meeting was held at Corinth in October 1905, even before all of the building finishes were completed. The meeting was held on the top floor of the building and a meal was catered on the lower level by Corinth’s German-American Club.
The building’s exterior has changed very little since 1905. The only notable alteration has been the replacement of four oval upstairs windows that can be seen on the front of the building on the photograph above. The original eight-pane oval windows were replaced with three-pane versions sometime between 1962 and 1964. There also appears to have been a replacement of some of the original bricks along the parapet over the front entrance.
The upper level of the building interior remains structurally intact except for the cashier window and counter that can be seen at right in the upper floor architectural plan. All wood wainscoting, glass, and the pressed brick fireplace in the Director’s remain intact although each are painted over.
The lower level of the building has been altered from its original plan. It no longer has the Time Keeper’s Booth that extended into a rear extension of the building or the seats that were placed along the wall of the the Waiting Room. The Museum is considering a partial restoration of the lower level to reproduce the Time Keeper’s Booth. For more information on our building restoration plans, please go to our SUPPORT menu.
Below is a collection of images if the International Paper office building which date from 1905 to 1964.
To help us in our efforts to restore the former International Paper Company office building, please go to our SUPPORT menu.